Recent debates, those on tv and those I've had with my horsemen, have made me again think and re-think about just why I would vote for Obama. When the race for a Democratic candidate began, I was a Hillary Clinton supporter. Mostly for the same reasons other Clinton supporters were. She has experience, intelligence, and a former President at her side. I thoroughly believe that having been the First Lady for 8 years, and as involved as she was, she had a lot more experience with how The White House works than anyone who had just been in the Senate. I also believe that having a successful President at your side is an incredible advantage. Much like other HC supporters, I believed that Obama was too new and hadnt really paid his dues yet...and I'm someone who really believes in paying your dues to get to where you want to be.As Obama's campaign ran stronger and stronger, I started to really pay attention to what he was saying. It was difficult, having to ignore the fanatics, but I was finally able to get a feel for what he represented and it started to open up my ability to throw support his way. The thing that worried me most about HC is that she is undoubtedly a politician's politician. She was born and bred for this. I'd already witnessed her willingness to go back on something she had said simply b/c it wasnt met with fanfare, even if her original position wasnt necessarily wrong. But the last straw, for me, was that "gas tax holiday" bs. I couldnt believe she would throw support, with McCain, behind that utter nonsense. Camel's back = broken.
At the closing remarks of their recent debate, what Obama said really hit upon the reason I'd vote for him any day of the week. First of all, I understand that he's our first real black candidate and that that is reason enough for others to vote for him. I have no problem with that. However, its the foundation of his talk of hope that really speaks to me...b/c he talks about America like a foreigner would. I believe its hard for native born Americans to really understand what he's saying when he speaks about how his Dad came from Kenya and why that is so meaningful.
Back in '05 when I went to NYC, the most important, meaningful thing I did was visit the Statue of Liberty. My parents have always talked to me about the fact that they and other immigrants came to this country looking for the "American Dream." An opportunity for their own children to have the best the world can offer. Having been to Africa and seen firsthand where my parents came from, I can understand, maybe more than most, what they're talking about. I can appreciate just how much easier my life is than their's was. The Statue of Liberty represents a foreigner's belief in what America is/was. A place of hope and opportunity. Correction: THE place of hope and opportunity. Going to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island reminded me of that and reminded me of just how much America fails to live up to that standard, now and then. Maybe its an impossible standard. But America has always aspired to live up to it. I dont believe this outgoing Administration aspired to do any such thing. I dont know that a McCain Administration would aspire to do such a thing, beyond militarily. But when I hear Obama speak, I hear the child of someone who believed in America's ability to be great. I hear someone who wants to reinforce that standard. The fact that he's black...is an added bonus.
3 comments:
I gotta second that, very good post. I've been thinking a lot about the lenses with which we view situations. I think that a foriegn lens is a perspective many natives cannot have. But I think being foriegn you must respect the traditional "American" histories that exist. i.e. race in America and the power structures it serves ('ill further explain in my own post). YOU walk this line very well. Great job. Oh yeah...I do feel you on the OJ thing. It's kinda scary how the justice system can be manipulated and because of people's positions they will let it be.
Much appreciated.
hand me a tissue....great post.
you still got 2 warrants in Nassau County, NY so thats the last time you will be seeing the statue...
whatcha gonna do when they come for you...bad boys bad boys
Post a Comment