You can't privatize profit and socialize losses. -- spurred by a discussion of the gov't bailing out Fannie Mae, etc.
I agree with this quote but I'm still torn about whether or not doing this was right. Do people suffer if these companies go down? In a capitalist society, doesnt another company just take its place? Or did they just get bailed out b/c they knew who's pockets to grease when election time came around? My guess is the latter.
Over-regulation leads to a suspension of ethics. Decisions become based more on whether something is legal rather than whether it is right or wrong. Eventually, you get to the point where people will do immoral things b/c they are in fact legal. -- from a conversation spurred by the possibility of now regulating text messaging like they did with talking on the phone
I still dont know what they hoped to accomplish by making ours a "hands-free" society. It OBVIOUSLY wasnt meant as a deterrent to talking on the phone while you drive. I realize certain parts of the government are involved in marketing (*cough* FDA) but this is absurd. Besides, you can still drive with a damn dog in your lap. If ANYTHING should be illegal...
No comments:
Post a Comment