Monday, September 15, 2008

Shaving While Black

People, I'm in need of some serious help/advice. Shaving my face is a nightmare. After I shave, in a day or two, my face will explode into a mess of pimples like I was junior prom. I think ALL black men go through some version of this to a degree. Its ridiculous and I've found NO cure for it besides just using an edger or an electric. I'm tired of both. Shaving is faster, simpler, easier...in terms of getting a close shave, which you cant get with an edger.
Shave directions
So what do I do? All ideas and input are welcome. Home remedies? Tips the barber gave you? I'm calling all cars here, ladies and gentlemen...BUT, let me give this disclaimer: I'm not putting any hemorrhoid cream on my face. If thats all ya got, I'll pass. I need to get this figured out cuz right now, the bottom of my chin feels like a basketball and that just doesnt work for me. Help me before I wind up on a ProActiv ad!

6 comments:

clnmike said...

The only real way to be razor bump free is to always leave a 5 o'clock shadow.

Other wise have you tried the mach 3 razor?

Magic shave isnt bad but it's a pain to apply.

B said...

Hmmm...so I added you on Twitter because I'm obsessed with that site. Haaa!!!

Okay, back to the topic at hand. Obviously I don't shave my face so (I know some women that duh, but uhhh...) I can't offer much in that department so let's consider your skincare regime. Tea tree oil can help you combat the razor bumps you get. The stuff smells awful but I'm tellin' you it works at drying at those bumps and getting your skin all smooth again. Also, try using a hair conditioner (minus parabens) for a slicker/closer shave without the abrasion. If have mineral oil in any of your products stop using them because that can contribute to the breakouts that you may be getting.

Gosh, I could go on and on and on since I love dappling in cosmetics/skincare but check out this site for tips/references.

http://www.squidoo.com/best_skincareformen

Peace brotha....and have a wonderful Tuesday!

and1grad said...

clnmike,
I have one of those mach 3 type razors. The one that vibrates...Fusion or something. Its the best razor I've used so far. Magic shave smells like rotten eggs yo. I REFUSE to put that near my face.

b,
I'll hit you up on twitter VERY soon. You're gonna be my new cosmetician. Tea tree oil huh? When you say it smells bad, how bad? I'm not gonna walk around smelling like anus. Hair conditioner? I shave my head so going to the store for hair condition could prove interesting.

Mizrepresent said...

Dang, i'm having the same problem...JUST KIDDING!

Yeah, what clnmike said,...magic shave, then after shaving apply bump cream. That what's the ex used to do.

and1grad said...

miz,
I thought you were about to tell on yourself. Another vote for magic shave huh. I'm trying to see myself using that stuff...here's the scenario. Think of that Monday Night Football commercial where that guy is playing guitar for MC Hammer. But instead of him asking what the beep is, he'd be like "Who smells like Magic Shave?" "Hammer dont hurt em!"

Uh oh...uh oh uh oh uh oh...

Eb the Celeb said...

shaving dries your skin out... you have to moisturize always.. before and after shaving and on a daily basis... carol's daughter has some great stuff for men...