Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Wedding Circuit

People, I've hit whats been commonly (I think) referred to as "The Wedding Circuit." This is that stage in your life when you're watching all your friends pair off in fantastical weddings and various events. Weddings are great. I'm all for marriage...for the most part. I think its a great celebration of a couple's commitment to each other. Thats it...no more, no less.

But I need to tell you something. All these weddings are destroying my wallet. I mean, by the end of this wedding season, I'll have had 6 in the past 2 years, and 2 of those I couldnt make b/c they either fell on the same day or consecutive days. This year, I'm damn near bankrupt due to weddings. Is it bad that I want to tell the rest of my non-married friends that if they decide to get married next year, I'll kill em?

4 comments:

CC Solomon said...

Hmm, is it bad to just not go to a wedding if you're broke? Maybe for people you aren't that close to/rarely see?

clnmike said...

Yeah thats annoying going broke because some else is getting married. They better be good friends before I make a move.

illinigirl said...

I average ~8 per year. . . and have for the past FIVE years. . . and yes, they are all out of town. I think I spent over $3,500 on weddings last year. (I was in three weddings out of town.)

I love the opportunities to see my friends get married AND to be a part of them. . . but being that 95% of my weddings are out of town, I have had to turn down some weddings because I just couldn't pull it off.

The thing is. . . these are all good friends. Maybe, the answer is to stop making friends?!? :)

and1grad said...

cln, I hear you. Sometimes I'm like "Maybe you can just youtube it and I'll watch later."

illini, EIGHT a year!?!? You, young lady, are a patron saint. I couldnt do it! Stop making friends!?!? Impossible. Thats like asking a smurf to stop being blue and singing that jingle.