Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Rock the Bells


You know how sometimes it seems like you're one of the only people in the world to NOT do something yet...well that was me and concerts. Never been to one. Why? The shows I wanted to go see...tended to end in fights and shootings. I'm allergic to that mess. So I passed. Missed a lot of great shows and a lot of great stories BUT...that day has passed. Your boy has finally...I mean, FINALLY been to a concert...and it was THE BUSINESS. Let me tell you a story.

A very good friend of mine is getting married at the end of the month. Actually, calling him a "friend" feels like I'm doing him an injustice b/c this is part of my core group that I consider "fam." But I digress. For his bachelor weekend, we decided to treat him to an EsQ-type weekend. One of the events was...tickets to the Rock the Bells concert. Let me hip you to some of names on this event's card. Actually, no. Let's play a little game called "Do you recognize my pic?"
RakimKid Capri

De La SoulMeth & Red

NasMos Def

Tribe
Q-Tip

These are some of the heavy hitters in old school hip hop. In fact, if you love hip hop and what its SUPPOSED to be, this was the place to be. THIS is the real hip hop. Not that bullshit they play on the radio nowadays. I dont know the words that would describe this concert well enough to do it justice. So I'll stop.

2 comments:

clnmike said...

Yeah the majority of stuff out now is a bunch "rap from a can" mess.

The problem is that there is such a huge demand for this mess, too many passer bys and little kids who got money to spend on these clowns and thus pad thier stats.

Prez. said...

It was indeed a day/night to be remembered, as was Sunday. It doesn't get any better than great music, a dope show and your loved ones. Now thats EsQuire!