
Although I'm REALLY not big on quoting myself...a couple of months ago, I wrote this...
So now that Obama has selected his running mate...whats next? I dont remember hearing a lot of dialogue, in general, about what happens to the racial dynamic of this country after this Presidential race. It almost seems like people are afraid to explore the dynamic of how the African American community will respond to what happens if Obama wins and especially, if he loses. Here are my theories:
Scenario #1: Obama wins. A sense of pride and expectation arises in the black community. Maybe even a sense of urgency to just do better. A new standard set. A renewed emphasis on education and community development occurs. We see our achievements not only increase but become more recognized by society at large...without it needing to be "Black History Month."
Scenario #2: Obama wins. He is expected to single-handedly carry the banner for African American hope. He is set up to fail and to do so publicly. African Americans react with disdain and become crabs helping keep him from succeeding in Office. Unfair characterizations of being an "Uncle Tom" or of having "sold out" riddle his campaign. A historical bookmark is lost in the annals of time as another ineffectual President takes his place among the anonymous.
These are the two scenarios I presented as possibilities in case Obama won the presidency. Now that we are into the inevitability of one, or both, of these things happening, I cant help but say I have more confidence in Scenario 1 than ever before. But why? Because of the reaction of the people when he was confirmed. I dont mean the celebrations and the high-fives...I mean the tears. I mean the people who have never voted before, coming out to vote in droves. The fact that we FINALLY seem willing to find inspiration in something a politician says. That we're willing to point to someone and say, WITH PRIDE, that "He speaks for me." He characterizes the hopes and dreams I have when I think of this country and its greatness. Its an incredible feeling when you cant help but be moved by what someone is saying. It truly makes me feel like I can understand what our parents were talking about when they talk about hearing Martin Luther King Jr speak. Its not like being part of a campaign, or even an event. Its like being a part of a movement. I feel privileged to know what that feels like. I'm privileged to be able to soon be at the monumentous event of watching the first African American President be sworn in on January 20, 2009. All throughout our schooling, we read about history and the effects of actions and inactions. With all that has happened in my lifetime, this is the first time I've really felt like I was living in a time of importance. Like I was living a chapter in one of those history books.
I'm gonna segue off of books b/c I'm getting kinda off track. Scenario 1 presents us with the opportunity to do better. I believe this new election, the new mantra of "Yes we can," should ENABLE our people to reach for higher heights. Reach for greatness. Strive to be better. Too many of our black people are willing to settle for mediocrity and doing just enough to get by. Our black students take more pride in NOT knowing than learning. Its encouraging to have a role model that says to black people that you're BETTER than just being athletes and rap stars. Better than being street hustlers and deadbeat dads. Better than looking for an easy way out rather than struggling to earn your own. Better than allowing ourselves to fail and blaming it on institutional racism. We're better than that. I seque on books b/c of the sheer amount of opportunity afforded by education. Having an education, in WHATEVER it is you choose to be educated in, grants you the opportunity to live the American dream. It opens up a window to success. Education also limits the grip that institutional racism can hold over you. Intelligence is easily recognizable and often rewarded, to some degree. Intelligence itself is also a reward...granted through years of education and embedded in discipline. Let me be clear in stating that you dont need to attend a University to be educated. You dont have to pay thousands of dollars to a college to be intelligent. Its just one route of many.

Obama's victory gives our people a beacon. Something to point to that says if you challenge yourself to be great, you can achieve the impossible. On November 4, 2008, President elect Obama said:
"It's the answer that led those who've been told for so long, by so many, to be cynical and fearful and doubtful about what we can achieve, to put ther hands on the arc of history and bend it once more toward the hope of a better day. Its been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this date in this election at this defining moment, change has come to America."
I hope we can represent for that. Scratch that...I know we can. I hope we will.
2 comments:
I agree he symbolically means more than anything he does in office.
The author is absolutely right, and there is no question.
Three Little Dots Kids - Zappos.com Exclusive Fold Over Skirt (Toddler) (Tahitian Teal) - Apparel | Quiksilver - Shelton Backpack (Dissolved Cyan) - Bags and Luggage | Sabre Vision - The Village (Black Gloss/Clear) - Eyewear
Post a Comment