I actually don't see much wrong with this statement except for perhaps the timing. Of course Nader played on the racial element of things but his question is one that must be asked and I feel Obama will produce a response that is for the people and not just the wealthy. I try not to let words anger me or cloud my vision, instead I look to the spirit of what was said. The comment was about what path Obama will take, I feel the high road.
My problem is that you dont use the term "Uncle Tom" unless you mean to insult someone. His timing makes this lapse of judgment egregious and I sincerely hope this fool never lives that down.
My mom always taught me that sometimes its not what you say, its how you phrase it. Legitimate question? Yes. Great phrasing? No. It shows his racial insensitivity.
This is an example that the election of Obama does not mean the mighty death blow to racism.
Or there are some things that you do use to make your point! I do think his timing was poor, but I also think that it was intentional. He is Ralph Nader after all and once the excitement of the election is over so to will be the validity, in public terms, of his opinion. As long as we live in this world there will be signifiers of race, sex, etc. used to qualify a position of someone out side that status quo this will happen. I don't agree but it doesn't surprise or necessarily offended me. But I could just be numb.
This is just yet another reminder that just because Obama won, racism is not dead. He will be greatly tested and looked at harshly during these first four years. He's always going to make someone angry.
6 comments:
I actually don't see much wrong with this statement except for perhaps the timing. Of course Nader played on the racial element of things but his question is one that must be asked and I feel Obama will produce a response that is for the people and not just the wealthy. I try not to let words anger me or cloud my vision, instead I look to the spirit of what was said. The comment was about what path Obama will take, I feel the high road.
My problem is that you dont use the term "Uncle Tom" unless you mean to insult someone. His timing makes this lapse of judgment egregious and I sincerely hope this fool never lives that down.
My mom always taught me that sometimes its not what you say, its how you phrase it. Legitimate question? Yes. Great phrasing? No. It shows his racial insensitivity.
This is an example that the election of Obama does not mean the mighty death blow to racism.
I understand what he was trying to say and he has a valid point but damn man!
That was a poor choice of words.
And that has been the problem with many white well intentioned supporters, like the dude who put Michelle Obama stung up by the Klan.
There is somethings in AA history you dont use to make your point.
Or there are some things that you do use to make your point! I do think his timing was poor, but I also think that it was intentional. He is Ralph Nader after all and once the excitement of the election is over so to will be the validity, in public terms, of his opinion. As long as we live in this world there will be signifiers of race, sex, etc. used to qualify a position of someone out side that status quo this will happen. I don't agree but it doesn't surprise or necessarily offended me. But I could just be numb.
This is just yet another reminder that just because Obama won, racism is not dead. He will be greatly tested and looked at harshly during these first four years. He's always going to make someone angry.
Post a Comment