In my opinion every great player has had another great player with him that helped him win a championship. The quintessential examples include Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant. Those are the probably the best duos of all time in the NBA they certainly sit in the pantheon.
Building on my last blog, The Lebron-A-Thon, I think Lebron HAS to be considering this with respect to his future and legacy. The question is, WHO would make the best "Robin" to his "Batman?" Here are the contenders: Yao Ming, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudamire, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, or Dirk Nowitzki. Lets examine “The King’s Court.”
Building on my last blog, The Lebron-A-Thon, I think Lebron HAS to be considering this with respect to his future and legacy. The question is, WHO would make the best "Robin" to his "Batman?" Here are the contenders: Yao Ming, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudamire, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, or Dirk Nowitzki. Lets examine “The King’s Court.”
![]() |
| Yao Ming |
Yao Ming is a GREAT player that I've yet to hear mentioned in the 2010 sweepstakes. Granted, he does seem to get nagging injuries but the guy is 7'6" and virtually unguardable. I hope, wherever he plays, his foot has completely healed, and that he's ready to go. A dominant center like Yao SHOULD be able to command a double team which will also leave other players open. So in Yao , who is becoming a good passer out of a double-team, you have a player that can get his own and create for teammates. He is a monstrous presence in the lane as well, averaging slightly over 9 boards and close to 2 blocks per game. Along with the 19 points per, he's a big man you cant just foul because he's a good free throw shooter.
The problem with Yao , as I see it, is that he's slow and can rack up fouls in a hurry. For some reason, he and a very capable Tracy McGrady were never able to get out of the first round in the Western Conference playoffs, even when they were the better team/higher seed. The question has to remain, is he clutch?
![]() |
| Joe Johnson |
Joe Johnson is another good/great guard that will be available this summer. I'm not as high on him as most. He's a VERY good shotmaker and can create for himself against most anybody. I think its safe to say that whatever happens, Joe Johnson is gonna get his. His range is absurd and he's big enough to defend any guard.
My problem with Joe is that I don’t remember seeing him create for anybody else. There isn’t a shot Joe wont take and he can shoot your team completely out of rhythm and possibly out of the game. With the exception of getting his own, I just don’t see how he helps Lebron get a championship.
![]() |
| Amare Stoudemire |
*sings* When you jump, he'll just dunk aanndd you'll look liiikkee a punk...thats Amareeeee
Amare is one of those players that, for me, is hard to judge. He works VERY WELL with Steve Nash but its hard to tell if he's a product of Steve Nash's pick and roll or not. Would he be a good player without a great point guard? Or would he turn into KMart without Jason Kidd? I'm tempted to believe something in between. Amare developed a very reliable jumpshot while rehabbing his knee injury. You do NOT want to be in his way when he's coming to the hoop either. Its absurd how many people he's OBLITERATED at the rim. And they still jump. WHY!?!? If he's jumped, its over! Read the memo!
The thing with Amare is that his defense and rebounding are remarkably inconsistent. Amare has the skillset and talent to be greater than he is...and when he's focused, he will terrorize an opposing team. But he is rarely that focused. He also spends too much time smelling his own shit. His sense of entitlement >> His game. Can Lebron be his Steve Nash? Would he need to be?
![]() |
| Dwyane Wade |
The Man they call "Flash" is the GREATEST PLAYER in the league not named Lebron James or Kobe Bryant. The amount of skill and talent that he possesses is not only devastating but its downright scary. There isn’t anything he cant do...aside from carry a bunch of scrubs to a championship. You surround him with decent talent tho, and I mean guys that are READY to win a championship, and you have what can only be described as "A SERIOUS PROBLEM." His championship pedigree is proven and his ability to lead a team is bona fide. The only person scarier coming at you on a break than Dwyane Wade is Lebron James...and to be honest, Wade has dunked on more people...and VICIOUSLY. Ask Varajao.
The problem is that Lebron & Dwyane have SUCH similar games that it might actually be an issue. They're also both "Alpha" guys who mainly dominate the ball on offense. I'm not sure how effective they can be with someone else in that role. Does Batman need another Batman? Would they become The Justice League? Nah, Superman would hate another Superman & Batman would hate another Batman. I cant see this working. I mean...if superheroes couldn’t do it...!?!?!?
![]() |
| Chris Bosh |
Bosh seems to be the potential teammate of choice for pundits when talking about Knick cap space. Its hard for me to really decide on Bosh because, since he's played for Toronto , I RARELY get to see him play. I do like his game on the offensive side. It looks like he's a good rebounder as well.
I've never heard anyone say anything positive about his defense and it looks like he averages about a block a game. I feel like I can get a little more from Yao . No knock on Bosh tho. I honestly think he should consider Oklahoma City but that’s just me.
![]() | |
| Dirk Nowitzki |
Dirk is one of the best shooters of our generation. A 7-footer that can give you WORK from anywhere on the court NOT labeled "the post." The positives for Dirk are that his shot is simply unblockable and that he appears, IMO, ready to win a championship. Probably moreso than the rest of the people on this list, besides Wade. In fact, out of everyone on this list (excluding Wade), I'm sure Dirk would not only leave EVERYTHING on the court, but he'll SHOW UP in games that matter...unlike some of the aforementioned players. Plenty of teams will have to double Dirk and I think that helps him create for other players. He also does NOT need to dominate the ball to make a difference on the court. When Dirk is in a zone, which happens for him more often than anyone else on this list, you are pretty much finished. Did I mention he’s a former NBA MVP? Nobody else on this list can boast that.
Dirk's defense leaves a little to be desired and I really think he should rebound better at his height. He's starting to slow down as he has some 13 years in the league so he wont lead a fast break but you can catch him at the 3 point line on one and be cash money most of the time.
OVERALL, I believe Yao Ming and Dirk Nowitzki to be the best options to team with Lebron James. I think their games are tailor-made to mesh with Lebron's and that they would give MOST teams work with that combo. They would still battle with teams like the Lakers & Celts but ANY combo of players would as well. The problem is, can either player be coaxed...massaged...recruited to leave their respective teams. Yao has a good situation in Houston that he'll be coming back to and Dirk seems to be loyal to the Mavs and Mark Cuban. I'm not convinced either can win CHAMPIONSHIPS as their teams are constructed but I'm convinced they could as the #2 option to LBJ's #1. I'm not convinced combining Lebron with Wade, Bosh, or Joe Johnson would be as likely to yield a championship.
That’s MY opinion tho...what say you?






1 comment:
Damn good post, fam
I think you could put any of those dudes with Lebron. My guess is that he pairs with Dwyane Wade
Post a Comment