![]() |
| John Wall showing you how to do his dance |
SOMEHOW, the Washington Wizards were able to win the 2010 NBA Draft and garner the 1st pick. This is excellent for an organization that had possibly the MOST Schleprock of seasons as I've seen in a while. Their best player gets himself arrested on gun charges. They trade away their next 3 or 4 best players for table scraps. And then, a player that nobody (aside from Wizards fans) knew anything about emerges as their best player, proceeds to tank on the team, and is even made to cry by Kevin Garnett. Talk about a team in need of a backrub from the league. Well, DC, now you've got it. The question is, what do you DO with it?
To me, this is a little bit of a dilemma. In the Wizards, you have a team that has a LOT of needs now. You gave away all your talent...BUT your best player happens to be coming back. Personally, I would think Arenas would have something to prove given his injury-plagued and jail-shortened last few seasons as a Wizard. BUT...Arenas is a career headcase that only seems to play when he wants. So is it case of out with the old, in with the new? Wizards fans will probably unanimously say "YES!" In fact, they may be adopting a "Draft John Wall or we'll burn this mu'f@#*r down" mantra.
The pros to drafting Wall are obvious. Clear talent at the position. A seemingly true point guard, which is RARE. Quick, offensively and defensively aware (also rare), and good size for the position. Thats the obvious. What might be less obvious is that this guy COULD be the face of an organization. I mean...he even has his own dance! The only questions I have are if he can LEAD a team. It normally takes a rookie, point guard or otherwise, a few years to assert his leadership on a team when he is the best player. I also wonder how he co-exists with Arenas. I dont know that it isnt above Hibachi to attempt to hinder this kid's growth in an attempt to assert his dominance on the team. Arenas also will more than likely still be the best player on this team. I'm not sure you can fully develop a great point guard by having him ride the pine.
![]() |
| "You call THOSE guns, John?" |
So what do you do if you're Washington? Draft the best player and hope your coach knows how to develop him? Do the Wizards currently HAVE a coach? Do you draft Evan Turner, who could wind up being just as good and would obviously start without issue? Do you try to deal either the Wall pick, or Hibachi, and bring more needed pieces to your team?
I'm honestly not sure what move to make here. My gut tells me to draft Wall and see what happens. Maybe him & Guns of Navarone CAN coexist. Maybe Arenas can play well enough that I can deal him for some quality player or players. I would hope for the latter.
All of that said, Wall strikes me as a "cant miss" prospect. I actually like him MORE than Derrick Rose...which tends to anger people. I just think he's an ACTUAL point guard...which means he can make plays for his team. I think the Rondo comparisons might be decent. Not willing to compare him to the likes of DWill or CP3 but it certainly isnt out of the realm of possibility. I look forward to watching him play in this league and inevitably prove me right about Rose...just like Stephon Curry proved me right that the Kings should've taken him.
(Yes I know Tyreke Evans won Rookie of the Year...yes I know he deserved it...no I DONT believe he is or will be better than Curry. Period. The End.)


1 comment:
It's very valuable post. to state more, please visit http://www.thinningquick.com as taht's a website having truly precious things to read.
6 | 6 | 2
Post a Comment