Monday, May 3, 2010

What ever happened to "moderation?"

I like the irony of this
Have you noticed that you almost arent really allowed to be "moderate" anymore? Everything seems to be either "All In" or "GET OUT!" You cant just fall in between anymore. Why is that? When exactly did that change? Was it ever that way? Probably not but...thats where I live. Gray area. There's too many variables in life for EVERYTHING to be so black & white. Make no mistake, there are a good number of times when things just come down to the result and the qualifiers just dont matter.



But recently, it seems that if you claim any interest/involvement in a topic/subject/what-have-you, you either are FULLY invested in it or really dont know anything about it. Let me give a few everyday examples of what I've come across...

Example 1:  I ride a motorcycle. Mainly to work & back. I dont joyride. I'm not an "enthusiast." I dont care about the next model coming out. I dont care that you ride or used to ride. Its just a mode of transportation for me, that I happen to enjoy...on weekdays. HOWEVER, seeing me carrying my helmet and/or wearing my jacket has involved me in conversation of which I have no interest. And in my attempts to humor some, I've mistakenly given some the impression that I want to know about every other type of motorcycle that comes out, when people are going to joyride to godknowswhere for no reason whatsoever, and so on and so on. Fine. Whatever...I'll live. But people seem genuinely disappointed when I say "Thanks, but no thanks." I mean, I have a car also. I dont want to know what you drive. I dont care what its engine is composed of. The size of your wheels is irrelevant to me. I'm just NOT an enthusiast. I apologize.


Example 2:  I enjoy watching basketball and cheer for the Lakers. I WILL argue with you when you haphazardly throw insults at Kobe...depending on whether I believe they're deserved insults. Because I defend what I believe to be 1 of the greatest to ever play, I am assumed to be an incredibly biased, empty-headed "stan." Word? Who am I more biased than? I happen to believe I do a VERY good job at remaining objective in all instances, INCLUDING basketball and/or other sports. When the Lakers play bad, I have no prob saying so. The other day, in the final game against OKC, the Thunder damn near made a living at the line. I noted so and was told that I am a conspiracy theorist. Negative. Every home team gets some "home cookin" every once in a while. Thunder got some in that game. Not a big deal. 

Anyway, just seems like society attempts to push you away from being moderate at anything. From the foods we eat, to religion, to politics...you're either "in"...or you're out. Flow with the tide...or struggle against it.

Not me, baby. Think I'll chart my own path...staying away from extremes and what OTHER people think I should be doing. Besides, the sun is shining...and it looks like smooth sailing from here...as far as I'm concerned.