So they gave OJ 15 years, 5 or 6 before eligible for parole, if I'm not mistaken. Am I surprised? Not really. Am I disappointed? Absolutely. The fact that this mockery of justice has gone on without any real dissent from ANYONE is more disappointing than anything else. We hear so much talk from people about institutional racism and nowhere is it more apparent than in our justice system. It remains virtually unchallenged. It remains fundamentally unopposed. It remains as a bane on our society and it stands as a barrier to TRUE progress towards racial relations in this nation. But no one cares. Its OJ. He DESERVES it, right? Its ok when its someone you dont give a damn about...even when this country throws it in your face and flaunts it in front of you. We just sit and watch it happen, like fools.I wonder who has to go to jail before anyone gives a damn.
EDIT: I'm now hearing its looking more like 8 to 10 years.
3 comments:
Another thing I wanted to add but will just add as a comment: A lot of people are standing on this "Oh, OJ was stupid to not have the police do it" nonsense. Lets examine that silly comment for a second. First, if you really think, for a second, that the police were about to do ANYTHING to HELP OJ, you're beyond delusional. Second, the police wouldnt go get that shit for YOU neither. Dont get it confused.
Yeah there are some issues with the OJ case, but I just think that there is so much going on in the world that impacts everyone's daily life that they give less of a damn about OJ, and make no mistake for a lot of people its about OJ. I see where you are coming from and agree to an extent, but what I will say is that there are more important legal cases that need to be discussed beyond OJ. When OJ is clumped in with other cases, say Sean Bell, it convolutes the argument and people can't focus on the issues at hand, at least most people can't, of the systematic racism (and sexism) of the legal system. Setting OJ to the side and focusing on these may be best for all, sadly.
Part of my problem is, if people dont care about the cases thrust in their face, what would make me think they'll care about the ones that arent?
Post a Comment