Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happy Festivus!!

A Festivus for the rest of us.

I'm not into Xmas. Havent been since high school really. Its always been more work than fun. All that bullshit decorating and trees and crap. Only to take it down in 2 weeks to a month. I'll pass yo. You be the boob that climbs your house to do all that mess. I'll drive by and go "ooh." I feel the same way about that tree. Ours was this fake plastic-y one that somehow managed to survive like TWO DECADES of use. And then when I got old and strong enough to be the one to put the damn thing up....ugh. Damn you Xmas!! Oh...and dont let me forget. My mom's incessant need to buy gifts for every damn relative/friend we have in the state. Guess who had to wrap it all? Xmas sucks.

But Festivus??? Shheeeeyyyyeettttt, I dont NEED all that. I just wish folks a Happy Festivus and keeps it moving. I love it. No gift shopping amongst absurdly crowded malls. No receiving presents that I didnt need or want. No cards for me to throw away. Its GREAT!!

So...Happy Festivus Everyone!

As you may or may not know, Festivus became popular after it was ran on an episode of Seinfeld. Episode #158, The Strike. This is where I first found about it and I've been with it ever since. So what is involved in Festivus?

The Festivus Pole.

As written in wikipedia, "the tradition of Festivus begins with an aluminum pole. During Festivus, the Festivus Pole is displayed unadorned. The pole was chosen apparently in opposition to the commercialization of highly decorated Christmas trees, because it is very low-maintenance, and also because the holiday's patron, Frank Costanza, finds tinsel distracting."

The Festivus Dinner and Airing of Grievances.
AOG
As explained in wikipedia, "the celebration of Festivus begins with Airing of Grievances, which takes place immediately after the Festivus dinner has been served. It consists of lashing out at others and the world about how one has been disappointed in the past year."

My Festivus dinner will most likely consist of take-out as I am not a fan of cooking.

The Feats of Strength.
FOS
"The Feats of Strength is the final tradition observed in the celebration of Festivus, celebrated immediately following (or in the case of "The Strike", during) the Festivus dinner. Traditionally, the head of the household selects one person at the Festivus celebration and challenges that person to a wrestling match. The person may decline if they have something else to do, such as pull a double shift at work. Tradition states that Festivus is not over until the head of the household is pinned in a wrestling match."

As I'm the head of the household, as well as its sole occupant, I expect to be pinned...by myself...at whenever it is I decide go to bed. Which means my Festivus lasts all day!

Lastly, the Festivus Miracle. This is described as, "Festivus miracles tend to be minor coincidences that are usually inconvenient for one of the involved parties."
Miracle
I cant wait to find out what my Festivus miracle turns out to be!

Hope you all have a fantastic Festivus!.
Happy Festivus!

3 comments:

and1grad said...

Just had a Festivus Day miracle! I was just playing basketball at lunch and I brought my ankle sleeves with me. I usually wear em with these particular shoes. I decided at the last minute to NOT put them on and wouldnt you know it, I rolled my ankle. Thankfully, I only heard ONE pop. You're in real trouble when you hear 3. Looks like I'll be heading for the ice bath tonight. Festivus Day Miracle #1...complete.

clnmike said...

You need to stop, LMAO!

Happy Festivus!!

Pharoah said...

lol AND1GRAD,
you are so stoopid sometimes...almost as bad as my brother Prince EsQuire....but you're loved for it all the same. =)

so in your honor,
Happy Festivus!
(& Merry Christmas.)

Happy Kwanzza too (power to the people)