Friday, July 25, 2008

The Cosby/Obama Connection

I love hearing Obama talk about how black people need to just do better. Be better. And I like how people seem to be somewhat receptive to that...when HE says it. But why only when he says it? Didnt Bill Cosby express the same sentiment just a few years ago? Didnt black folk CRUSH him for saying it? Why the change now? I'm actually happy for Bill Cosby that people are finally receiving the message. Or at least, they seem to be.
Cosby Show 2
I never understood why Cosby got blasted for saying that in the first place. People should hold him in a lot higher regard. Here's a guy that provided America a glimpse into a black household that was trying to be better. Minimal, if any, dysfunction. A family that actually gave love and received it back. That should be the family that we should all be aspiring to be. But nah...when the 90s came in and NWA came out, everyone needed to be a G. I can only speak for the West Coast since thats where I grew up but it seems everyone turned away from trying to be better role models and raising/maintaining good communities. If you werent "Thug Life," you werent "real."
Obama
Maybe the prevalence of an Obama campaign/administration can usher in a redefinition of what is "real." A period where a black person can stop just trying to get theirs and we can collectively get ours.

2 comments:

Lady Dulayne said...

I wholeheartedly agree and I also agreed when Cosby made those points years back. I never understood why people were upset with him. All he was doing was telling the truth and really, as black folks, we should be listening, taking a good look at our communities and taking action.

Same BS as with ol' Jesse Jackson, talking out the side of his neck about Obama and he he was "talking down" to blacks. I don't understand the confusion on "talking down" to blacks and speaking the truth. What? Peope can't take it? Cause what it boils down to is there are SERIOUS issues within the black community and maybe we need to stop pointing fingers every which way and take a hard look at our own actions.

But things don't appear to be getting much better.

and1grad said...

Agreed. Although it does seem like people are more willing to have the discussion now...rather than just goin "OH NO HE DI'NT!!" Thats a good thing at least.