"Strong Men."
One discussion I got in was about women saying they prefer a strong man. The man that will put em in check when they're being ridiculous. Um...sure. As someone who considers himself a decently qualified representative of the male gender, I can tell you that, to a man, we think women are being ridiculous A LOT of the time. If we attempted to check you every time, we would ALL be single. But lets attempt to break this down.
I think MOST people want someone who challenges them in some capacity, or at the very least isnt a complete pushover. But that said, a LOT of people are perfectly happy with their chosen mate being something of a pushover so that they can often get their way. I find this to be more common with women. Not to say that we men dont do it...just think its more common to women. The reality is that "strength" in a person is very hard to accurately gauge. I think a good number of people confuse "strength" with just being "stubborn"...which is not a strength. I also believe that allowing your SO to take the lead in certain situations can be considered a display of strength...while others might outwardly consider it weakness.
I think true strength is a fantastic trait to have. But, for the most part, it comes from experience. It comes from a certain level of self-assuredness that I think most of us struggle with. The hope is that the person you're with makes you stronger & vice versa.
Being considered strong is a helluva compliment...unless you're weak in a relationship. Then...its kind of a "so what?" right?

No comments:
Post a Comment